The Welsh Government are supporting us in rolling out Reading Well in all 22 library authorities in Wales, beginning with Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia as part of the new Dementia Action Plan for Wales. The scheme will be available in Welsh libraries from summer 2018. You can find out more about the scheme in English and Welsh here.
The books provide information and advice, support for living well, advice for relatives and carers, and personal stories. They are endorsed by health professionals and can all be found in the local library.
You can find out more about the books by downloading an overview of the titles on the list.
We are working with the Welsh Books Council to make titles on the list available in Welsh language for the first time. The first three books to be translated are:
Dear Dementia: The Laughter and the Tears by Ian Donaghy
This book has a message for all those touched by dementia – those living with dementia, their carers and all professional staff.
About Dementia: For People with Learning Disabilities by Karen Dodd, Vicky Turk and Michelle Christmas
This title looks specifically at the challenges that people with learning disabilities who develop or encounter dementia may face.
Grandma by Jessica Shepard
More and more children are encountering dementia and its effects on their families. This touching story, told in Oscar’s own words, is a positive and practical tale about the experience. The factual page about dementia helps children talk about their feelings and find new ways to enjoy the changing relationship.
As well as this, the user leaflet has been adapted with Welsh signposting and made available in Welsh language. You can browse our bilingual material in our resources bank.
- Find out more about the titles on the Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia booklist that will be available in Wales
- Libraries delivering Reading Well in Wales can download the delivery model
- Health professionals can download prescriber guidelines for the scheme
- Read our blog about the launch of the scheme in Wales
- Get in touch with any questions about Reading Well in Wales
- Read more about the Dementia Action Plan for Wales