The Welsh Government are supporting The Reading Agency to deliver Reading Well in all 22 library authorities in Wales.
Reading Well Books on Prescription for dementia was launched in Wales in 2018 as part of the new Dementia Action Plan for Wales. The books on the list are now available to borrow from Welsh libraries.
Reading Well Books on Prescription for mental health was launched in Wales on 26 June 2019. The books are now available to borrow from Welsh libraries.
You can find out more about Reading Well Books on Prescription here.
Download the user leaflets in both English and Welsh from our resources bank.
The books provide information and advice for people living with dementia, support for living well, advice for relatives and carers, as well as fiction, memoir and photographic books used in reminiscence therapy. They are endorsed by health professionals and can all be found in the local library.
Reading Well for mental health provides helpful information and support for managing common mental health conditions, or dealing with difficult feelings and experiences. Some books also include personal stories from people who are living with or caring for someone with mental health needs.
We are working with the Books Council of Wales to make titles on the lists available in Welsh language for the first time. For information about the titles available visit our dementia and mental health booklist pages.
As well as this, the user leaflets have been adapted with Welsh signposting and made available in the Welsh language. You can browse our bilingual material in our resources bank.
- Sign up to our Reading Well newsletter for health professionals and librarians for regular updates
- Find out more about the titles on the Reading Well Books on Prescription booklists that are available in Wales: dementia and mental health
- Libraries delivering Reading Well in Wales can download the delivery model
- Health professionals can download prescriber guidelines
- Read our blog about the launch of the scheme in Wales
- Get in touch with any questions about Reading Well in Wales